Making oars

With regular freezing temperatures as we entered late fall, I realized if I wanted to take the boat out for a float test before the lakes froze over,  I would need some propulsion. So I consulted the stock pile, and found that I had the wood on hand to make a pair of ten foot narrow bladed oars. They are a bit heavier in Douglas fir than clear spruce, and I wanted to leave them thick, so they could be used to pole in the shallows, and take a bit of a beating. for sailing, I will likely build very fine spruce oars, that will break down for easy storage. 

 

For best video quality, make sure the settings are turned up to HD.  

video Block
Double-click here to add a video by URL or embed code. Learn more

Stopping and Starting Again

From what I understand, one usually doesn't move across the country with an unfinished boat... But I've never been very conventional. 

The first step was to build a cradle for the hull, so it wouldn't be damaged in transit. 

image.jpg

Next we had to extract the dinghy from the second floor mezzanine, which required some thoughtful rigging and some fancy forklift driving. We carefully hoisted the boat, and maneuvered it out to the truck.  

A week later, We were reunited, and the boat hadn't received so much as a scratch.

Excited to get back to work, the next thing to do was to attach the rub-rails (or outwales). These are tapered in two directions and steam-bent before fastening through the planking into the inwales. They provide additional stiffness, durability and a place sit while sailing. 

I then shaped the top edge of the transom, giving it a smooth curve.

image.jpg

Next, I cut down and shaped the head of the stem.

All of a sudden it started to look like a real boat!